Thursday, May 8, 2008

Jordan wines with Chris Avery

Jordan has been in my wine consciousness for most of my wine life. It was always a beautiful property with only two wines made. Chardonnay and Cabernet. I have been lucky enough to visit twice out there and I would agree with what Dwayne Daniels of Plaza 3 says when he calls it Piss elegant. The first time out it was very stuffy, almost oppresively so. The last time it was less formal more inviting. It was nice to taste the two wines today but being in retail I had already gotten my allocation of two cases. Maybe they will be nice and let me have another one. who knows......

Chardonnay from 2005 Russian River appellation as oppossed to the old Alexander Valley. This wine has shown the change of a lot of Chardonnay from California over the last few years, going from the heavy oak monsters to a nice balance of oak and fruit. Russian River AVA is also a little cooler so the grapes dont have all that tropical fruit flavors. They also have a little less Malolactic.

The Cabernet from the luscious but shorter 2004 vintage is all about finesse and flavor. starting with the purple in the glass, casis on the nose and a long middle and back palate. not overblown california cab at all
this does use the Alexander AVA designation which is one of the warmest regions of Sonoma.

No comments: