Thursday, May 1, 2008

Alans version of The Devils Dictionary.

If I have posted this before but I am getting older and forget these things.
Several years back I discovered a book called the Devils Dictionary by Ambrose Bierce, a very witty if curmudgeonly look at American life collected over many years circa 1900. One of them would be Boar. n. someone who talks when you wish they would listen.
wife. n. a women with a fine prospect of life behind her.

I will try to throw in my own once in awhile. when I feel the inspiration of course. The first I could think of where.
Merlot. n. a wine that ,like the annoying guy at a party, you dont know who invited him but he is always there.

Terroir adj the fear of misprouncing a wine to the server so you order the Merlot , you cant get that wrong.

Please email with your thoughts on these and I will post with proper acknowledgement

No comments: