Tuesday, November 20, 2007

musings on the 2007 Wine Spectator top 100

Well, I had the right winery but the wrong wine when I got my pick for top 10. This year the wine of the year was a Chateauneuf du Pape that does not ship to this state as far as I can tell. Clos Des Papes is a consistent spectator favorite. Most of the wines in the top 10 were pretty pricey. Ornelliaia we have and I am sure we will be able to have the Mondavi Private Reserve.'

I have to say the top 100 was a diverse list from around the world which is nice to reflect the growing popularity of once obscure wine regions. one of the problems with the list though is often times we are already into the next vintage and people are looking for that particular wine. I can say that chances are it will be well recieved next year but that doesnt seem to help. Of the wines in the top 100 I do have about 6 in stock. The Vieux Telegraphe #20, The Argyle Sparkling Late Disgorged #25 and #32 Mont Olivet Chateauneuf. It was a good year for the southern rhone.

#70 Voge Cornas, #58 Reva Syrah from Alban and #90 Mulderbosch Sauv Blanc are also in the store. Good luck finding most of the top 100 in this market. you will probably have better luck on the internet.


Happy Thanksgiving Alan

No comments: