Saturday, November 17, 2007

patricia green and two hands with roni jaco

had some interesting wines on thursday with roni from major brands. patricia green out of oregon, a woman who has made wines for other people before striking out on her own and two hands out of australia that is really famous for big bold wines, mostly shiraz based.

Patricia Green I was able to try the estate bottling which we have in the store and 4 of her single vineyard offerings. I can not find my notes on these unfortunately but I remember being happy that I had a case of the estate already in the store. It was also interesting to taste the subtle differences between the 4 vineyards. I remember liking the 4 Winds and one other. Not much help when I dont have my notes sorry

Two Hands out of Australia has been getting great press recently, most recent the 2005 Bella Garden was picked as one of the top10 wines by Spectator this week. Major brands has just picked up this line so all they have are 2006.

I also lke the names they have given their bottlings.
Yesterdays Hero 2006 Grenache what one Australian winemaker called the "Noxious Weed" because it grows without help or when you dont want it to. This wine had a strong acidic push to it with plum and cherry , good finish. The problem is you can get great Spanish Grenache for $10 . Selling Australian Grenache at $45 is a problem.

Bad Impersonator shiraz 2005 Starts out Juicy but is ends up being disjointed and rough and not very interesting at all.I dont know what its trying to impersonate but they got the bad part right. a surprise from these guys.

Gnarly Dudes Rich and round, lots of mocha and berry. a quick finish but still mighty tasty.

In the garden series we have Lily's on the shelf. Fruit bomb start but the acid in it makes it flesh out nicely. dark dark purple. just what you want from Australian Shiraz.


Check out Patricia Green website. They have fun with their wine and it shows.
Salut

No comments: