Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Dierberg tasting at the American Restaurant

Last week I was invited with several wine buyers for restaurants and writers to a double blind tasting of Dierberg Chardonnay and Star Lane Cabernet, by the Dierbergs and Bommarito the distributor. I have to give credit to them for allowing their wines to be showcased in such a way with the optimum showing coming in first on both accounts.

The chardonnay came in 2nd with Sonoma Cutrer Sonoma Coast being first. The other two wines, which i lost the notes so I can not remember, were also from the northern part of California...central coast chard is SO pronounced in the tropical fruit that I was pretty sure which one was the Dierberg

The cab unfortunately came in last...I found the wine to be a little on the green olive, slight dirt, almost a chilean cab...the winery of the group was Insignia from Joseph Phelps...a 150 plus wine...the other wine that showed well was Jordan Alexander Valley..

I tried to explain that it was a close contest in my mind between 1st and last ..which it was...and that they were in good company because Merryvale did a similar tasting with like minded cabs and came in last again...it was also interesting the table talk afterwards...

No comments: